Skarloey is an old, wise engine who has been in service for over one hundred years! When he first arrived on Sodor, he was cheeky and got into many mishaps, resulting in him being covered in a tarpaulin until he could behave!
In later years, Skarloey was sent to the Works upon the arrival of Peter Sam and Sir Handel as a reward for taking Sir Handel's train when he couldn't get it home. When he returned, he met Duncan and Rusty.
When Arthur was catching up on some shunting work during a windstorm, Skarloey insisted that the young engine travel to safety. On the same day, he rescued Ivo Hugh and his passengers from falling off a bridge into some blazing fuel barrels!
Skarloey was the lead explorer during the Ghost Engine Crusade with Rheneas and Duncan.He thought that the ghost was familiar.
Skarloey now works at the Blue Mountain Quarry.
Playing Laertes during the railway's production of Hamlet, Skarloey is required to duel with the Thin Controller, with his sword duct taped to his bufferbeam. On the initial run, he narrowly avoids lancing the Thin Controller. During the performance Skarloey starts off too fast, causing him to run over the Thin Controller, breaking his femur.
Skarloey and Rheneas finally told Peter Sam, Duncan, and Sir Handel of their misgivings, mainly the full backstory and the various sightings of Proteus. Later that day, he and Rheneas talked about how Sir Robert Norramby likely obtained the map used in the search for King Orry's sword, and how it was time to reveal the full connections of the events surrounding the island in light of the recent events, and that they would stay informed of any recent developments.
After Rusty's hard work repairing a section of line near Strawberry Grove, Skarloey eagerly takes a passenger train through the area. Despite his own satisfaction, he was disapointed to learn the were disatisfied on account of the new wind turbines along the line.
Skarloey is wise and intelligent. He is looked up to by the younger engines, as he is the oldest engine on the railway, and he acts as a father figure to the engines and personnel on the Skarloey Line. He is good friends with Rheneas and Rusty, and is looked upon by all as an impeccable leader. His experience his noteworthy, and The Thin Controller has a strong bond with him, having known the engine his whole life.
- Season 0: Whistle Trouble
- Season 1: Dodge (cameo; remastered version), Double Whammy (cameo)
- Season 2: Paxton and Norman (cameo), Breakdown Blues (cameo), Two Hearts Burn Together, Pigeon Hunting (cameo), Scot-free (cameo), Mavis and the Tornado, Rosie, Young Tucker (cameo), Just Another Wild Goose Chase, James Goes on a Trip (cameo), Rock-Star (cameo), Munitions (cameo), Blunderbuss, Swan Dive (cameo), Luke and Millie's Blue Mountain Adventure, Aura of Menace (cameo), Henry and Kurt (cameo), All the World's a Stage, Swashbuckler, Thomas and the Fortune Teller, Self-Fulfilling Prophecy
- Season 3: Samson, BoCo, and the Man in the Hills, Culdee Fell (cameo), Chivalry is Dead, Percy and Asbestos (cameo), Merrick's Wake up Call
- Web Clips: Mike and Frank Banter: SLOTLT, ScarletFire, and EE93's Return (cameo), Thomas the Tank Engine 70th Anniversary Celebration! (cameo)