Toad was saved from scrap by Douglas with his friend and companion, Oliver. Douglas saved Toad and Oliver and they came to work on Sodor. Toad was very grateful and in thanks, Toad became Douglas' brake van. He also often works with Oliver.
Toad and Oliver then restored an old station when they got lost in an old forest.
Toad was cross that he was always going backwards and longed to be at the front of the train. Luckily, he did get the chance!
Toad was with Oliver when they crashed into the snowman!
Toad was unluckily involved with the accident at Tidmouth Lift Bridge.
Toad is humble and kind, but likes to offer his opinion. He considers himself to be a "forward thinker" and often fancies the rush of adventure or a new experience. A polite and respecful sort, he addresses every engine on the railway as a "mister" or "miss".
Toad is most commonly in the company of Oliver and Douglas.
- Season 0: Old Groaner (cameo)
- Season 1: Lift Bridge, Scruff's Scaffolding (cameo), Wilbert the Lumberjack (cameo)
- Season 2: Scot-free (cameo), Mavis and the Tornado (cameo), Tag-Team (cameo), Blunderbuss (cameo), Aura of Menace (cameo), Henry and Kurt (cameo), Swashbuckler, Self-Fulfilling Prophecy
- Season 3: The Suggestion Box (cameo)
- Web Clips: Mike and Frank Banter: SLOTLT, ScarletFire, and EE93's Return (cameo), Philip and Daisy - Meet the Characters! (cameo)